- About Us
- Global Responsibility
Founded: 1969, with a single store in San Francisco
We are: A leading global specialty retailer offering clothing, accessories and personal care products for men, women, children and babies. With more than 136,000 employees and more than 3,100 company-operated stores and 375 franchise stores, our presence is felt around the world.
Outlet stores: Gap Outlet, Gap Generation and Banana Republic Factory Stores
World HQ: San Francisco Bay Area
Product Design: New York City, San Francisco, London
Store Management, distribution and product manufacturing: Worldwide.
Total: More than 3,500 stores worldwide
See Financials for detailed information, including Gap Inc.'s Annual Report, Quarterly Financial Summary and historical sales by division.
(More questions? Check out the FAQ.)
Company-operated stores: More than 3,100 stores across the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, China, France, Ireland, Japan and Italy
*Fun fact! The first Gap store outside the United States opened in the UK in 1987
Franchise stores: 375 stores in locations across Asia, Australia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa
Square footage: See our Real Estate section for detailed store count information.
- The average cost of a pair of jeans at Gap in 1969? About $7!
- Gap's 1988 Individuals of Style campaign was the first time the company specifically hired celebrities as models.
- In 2004, Banana Republic was among the first sponsors of the Emmy-nominated sleeper hit "Project Runway."
- Gap has about 10 miles of storefront windows around the world.
- Old Navy was named after a bar in Paris!
- Retired New York Times fashion editor Carrie Donovan was tapped to be the "Old Navy Lady" in 1997 after joking in one of her columns that she'd be great for TV spots for the brand.
- After a wildly successful pilot, Gap Factory Outlet was founded and opened its first store in August 1994.
- Glenn Murphy is our fourth CEO since our founding in 1969. (Bob Fisher served as interim CEO in 2007 before Glenn was hired.)
- Athleta, which has served women athletes since 1998, opened its first full-sized store in 2011.
Customers in about 90 countries can order from our brands’ U.S.-based websites, and those in China, Canada and the UK are served by dedicated websites.
More than 136,000 employees around the world support Gap Inc. and its six brands.
Learn more about our Executive Management Team and Board of Directors.
How we do business is as important as what we do.
To us, it means everything from ensuring that workers are treated fairly to addressing our environmental impact. Find out more.
*We established our Clean Water Program in 2004 to monitor our denim laundries' wastewater discharge and to meet our guidelines.
*Our Gap Inc. P.A.C.E. program, or Personal Advancement, Career Enhancement, empowers the mostly female garment workers who make our clothes in places like India and Sri Lanka.
Employees across Gap Inc. do more than sell clothes, and FORTUNE Magazine has takenRead Post
Ni hao from Shanghai! A few days ago, our very first Old Navy openedRead Post
It may have been Hollywood’s big night, but Banana Republic wanted to beRead Post